Friday, November 20, 2009

The Modern Housewife

Sometimes I think I would like to be a '50's housewife. I find the idea charming. Fiesta ware, little checkered aprons, hair curlers, waffles in the morning, kissing my husband good-bye when he goes off to work, vacuuming the house and watering my plants while listening to Dean Martin. How quaint... lovely.
Last night when I was doing the dishes I realized how grateful I was for a 1950's hero, Josephine Cochran.

Don't recognize the name? Well I'm sure you appreciate what she contributed to the kitchen. The dishwasher.

The dishwasher ranks on my top 5 list of best inventions ever. It's right up their with indoor plumbing, soap and centralized heating. The dishwasher is amazing because you can fill it full of dishes and run it, or just put a Wok, a frying pan, a mixing bowl and a plate in,
(as I did last night) let it do it's thing and go cuddle with the husband.

So last night and every night from now on, I plan on paying homage to Josephine Cochran. I invite you to join me.

:)

1 comment:

  1. I just have to comment on this post. My saying lately is that I want to go back to the 70's because I would be the perfect Mormon housewife in the 70's. I cook dinner, can food, and can sew if needed. I just hang out at home and take care of stuff instead all this being a fashionista, running marthons, blogging, owning a photography business that Mormon moms these days do. I can't keep up! Maybe I should go back even further into the 50's. :)

    ReplyDelete