Wednesday, February 17, 2010

When saw we thee a stranger...


"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Crafted by the master carpenter, this message assembles the foundation of a life worth living. We who have been so blessed often forget the homeless and the hungry as we rush to satiate our appetite for entertainment and achievement. I was reminded recently that the poor who we pass by have their own stories. We speak of them as if they are a collective unit, “the poor,” yet, somehow each one of “the poor” got to where he or she is on a very personal and most likely painful journey. I say I was reminded, but more accurately I was made aware by my wife’s example. Julia never passes by the destitute without giving something and she never gives without asking the person’s name. Recently we met Kevin Evans near 7-11 on a slurpee run. Kevin left home when he was 15 to avoid his alcoholic parents. I know this because Julia asked his name and asked him about his life. I also know that even though Kevin has had a hard life, he is proud that he went back to school and earned his GED. I know Kevin does not want to be in this situation but can see no way out. I’m grateful for a wife who cares about the person and not the situation. I’m grateful for a wife who shows everday that charity never faileth. The next time you give money to the poor, ask their name and listen to their story. You may not be able to change their life but you can let them know that somebody cares.

1 comment:

  1. wow, i have a lot to work on. thank you for the reminder to be charitable. it gives me faith in humanity. thanks for your example julia

    ReplyDelete